The European University Association (EUA) has appointed Martin Bareš, Rector of Masaryk University, into an 8-member expert group that will serve as an advisory body to the European Commission in the process of preparing the European strategy for the global approach to research, innovation and education.
As a member of EUA European Global Strategy Response Group, Martin Bareš will co-operate with representatives of universities and university associations from Germany, Spain, Sweden, France, Georgia, United Kingdom and the Netherlands.
Mr Bareš was nominated to the EUA expert group by the Czech Rectors Conference (CRC) in December of last year. The EUA invited 40 national rectors’ conferences from various European countries to nominate their best experts for a position in the expert group.“It is a great honour for me to be selected by the European University Association as its representative to serve in an advisory capacity in creating a future EU strategy. As a leading Czech research and education institution, which also comprises centres such as CEITEC, we have a lot to offer to the European Commission and I am looking forward to our co-operation,” says Martin Bareš, Rector MU.
“We are delighted that EUA President Michael Murphy chose a Czech representative from among the many excellent candidates from other European countries. Participation in the expert group is a success not only for Masaryk University and the Czech Rectors Conference, but also for the Czech Republic as a whole,” said CRC Secretary General Marie Fojtíková.
The European University Association (EUA) is the largest university association in Europe and one of the most important organisations shaping the European Union’s higher education and research policy. EUA’s membership currently comprises over 800 universities from 48 European countries, with over 17 million students in total.
Members of an expert group of European Global Strategy Response Group:
· Pieter Duisenberg, President, Association of Universities in the Netherlands (VSNU) – group chair
· Martin Bareš, Rector, Masaryk University, Czech Republic
· Kerry Brown, Professor and China specialist, King’s College, United Kingdom
· María del Mar Delgado-Serrano, Vice-rector for internationalisation, University of Cordoba, Spain
· Gerhard Duda, Head of Department, Research in Europe and Germany and Director of the Brussels office, German Rectors’ Conference (HRK)
· Ole Petter Ottersen, President, Karolinska Institute, Sweden
· Giorgi Sharvashidze, Rector, Tbilisi State University, Georgia
· Olfa Zéribi Ben Slimane, Director, Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie, France